What nutrient reduces the risk for neural tube defect?
- Folic acid.
- Why does a pregnant woman require additional iron during and after pregnancy?
Vitamin D since it is not found in plenty in the diet and it helps both mother and baby.
- What is the definition of pica?
This is continual eating of substances with no nutritional value for example dirt.
- What is the risk to the mother and baby if she has Gestational Diabetes?
Gestational diabetes causes high blood pressure and preeclampsia which is dangerous for both lives.
- What is the definition of colostrums?
It is the thick, yellowish breast milk that comes out first after giving birth which prepare the babies’ digestive track to digest breast milk.
- What are the benefits of breastfeeding?
- Provides required nutrients for the baby.
- It reduces disease risk like, respiratory track infection and gut infection.
- Promotes healthy weight for the baby and prevents obesity.
- Help the mother lose weight and contraction of the uterus.
- It reduces breast cancer and ovarian cancer for the mother.
What nutrient reduces the risk for neural tube defect
- What is the American Pediatric Association’s recommendation for length of time to breastfeed?
They recommended exclusive breast feeding for six months and one year or longer for breast feeding together with supplementary food.
- What should be the first foods introduced to an infant at 4-6 months?
The first foods should comprise, cereals and grains, fruits, and vegetables
- Should fruits or vegetables be introduced first to an infant’s diet?
Yes it should.What nutrient reduces the risk for neural tube defect
- What is the cause of baby bottle tooth decay?
It is caused by bacteria in the mouth which feeds on sugar from milk and fruit juice hence creating acid which attacks the teeth.
- What foods should not be given to infants under one year of age?
- Cows and goats milk
- Fruit juice
- Whole nuts
- Sea food and shellfish