Segmentation,Targeting and Positioning
Segmentation, targeting and positioning are major components of Chipotle Mexican Grill’s implementation plan. The reason for targeting, segmentation and position is to focus limited resources for maximum effectiveness. As such, the following criteria for segmentation will be used:
- Demographic: Occupation, age and financial capacity
- Geographic: Country and city
- Psychographic: Lifestyle
When it comes to targeting the criteria that Chipotle Mexican Grill will apply, it will involve target age and target occupation.Segmentation,Targeting and Positioning
- Target Age: The group of retired people is excluded from the target age since most of them do not consume fast food. Therefore, the target is the local consumers that undertake activities or reside in the city of the restaurant location, that is, mainly students or workers who fall within the 18 to 54 years age bracket.
- Target Occupation: The location of Chipotle Mexican Grill has a considerable number of people. Nearly half of this population of between twenty and fifty-four years of age are studying, employed or both. Moreover, there is incessant movement in and out of the city and the nearby towns, with people travelling for work or study purposes. Chipotle Mexican Grill will target the people who are either studying or working as its suitable customer base. The fast food restaurant will also target the travelling population. However, since there is insufficient information regarding the age and occupation of the traveling population, a proportion will be applied based on the number of students or workers aged between twenty and fifty-four years of the resident population versus the total number of students or workers of all ages of the resident population. The number of prospective customers that will be derived from this estimation of the visiting population will then be targeted by Chipotle Mexican Grill.
In terms of positioning, positioning that evidences the price-quality ration is intended by Chipotle Mexican Grill. The fast food restaurant will focus on the swiftness of quality service, as well as, the possibility of customization of the tacos, stake and dessert as a differentiating factor. Chipotle Mexican Grill will position the company and send appropriate messages to the target strategies displayed in the table below.
|Workers or students
|Invest in flyers and distribute them near workplaces, shopping center and universities and colleges. Also create awareness and market through word-of-mouth and social media.
|Between eighteen and fifty-four years of age
|Invest in this particular age group without investing in discordant age groups.
|Above $2 a meal
|Do not invest in people without the capability to spend more than $2 to dine or purchase food
|Invest specifically in the place or location of Chipotle Mexican Grill in the first phase of investment and not in areas outside this location.
|Invest through word-of-mouth and social media while fostering the ease and swiftness of service at Chipotle Mexican Grill.
Organization-segmentation,Targeting and Positioning
When it comes to organizational hierarchy, Chipotle Mexican Grill will use a top-down approach. There will specific total hours of work per week, as well as, the number of assigned duties and number of workers. Two to four workers will be at the fast food restaurant every hour and one of the full time workers will be assigned as a team supervisor for every shift. In this sector of organization, the turnover of Chipotle Mexican Grill’s human resources will comprise of the quality of services provided and the normal operation of a restaurant. Since Chipotle Mexican Grill intends to have high quality service, it will recruit skilled workers with sufficient experience in the area of organization. Therefore, in order to attract and retain quality workers, as well as, avoid employee turnover, the company will pay a wage above the average salary in the fast food industry.
Technology-segmentation,Targeting and Positioning
In order for Chipotle Mexican Grill to be established and operate successfully, the following technologies will be installed:
- Cleaning: Two industrial dishwashers and a pantry will be installed. One dishwasher will be for cutlery and cups and the other dishwasher will be for plates.
- Industrial kitchen: Chipotle Mexican Grill will have refrigerated counters for the conservation stock of raw materials and beverages. Moreover, there will be hot and cold showcase structures for the presentation of cooked food and raw ingredients respectively, as well as, a press for shaping the food. The restaurant will also have a divided grill for the purpose of cooking both fish and meat separately, a rice water steam cooker, and an industrial fryer to fry potatoes. Last but not least, Chipotle Mexican Grill will have a juice machine for making natural fruit juice. Lastly, in order to extract the smoke from the grilling process, the restaurant will install a fume cupboard.
- Administrative: Chipotle Mexican Grill will have a cashier with appropriate software for the restaurant. It will also have a portable computer for the general manager for monitoring the sales and for balancing the books of account.
Hygiene and Safety
A fast food restaurant that is involved in the processing, production, distribution and storage of food is required to formulate a mechanism of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP). This is because it is a preventive measure to avert prospective dangers that could result in damage to customers through the elimination or reduction of hazards by ensuring that there are is no unsafe food available for the customers. In order for Chipotle Mexican Grill to implement and maintain a Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point plan, it will ensure that the following requirements are met:Segmentation,Targeting and Positioning
- Hygiene Plan: The existence of a hygiene plan will be guaranteed. As such, the hygiene plan will include aspects of diverse hygiene considerations such as hand washing by all workers in the restaurant every thirty minutes and the cleaning of facilities.
- Water Supply: The water supply will be made throughout the water network, making available safe drinkable tap water.
- Materials in contact with food: All materials and equipment that come into contact with food at the restaurant will be those that are suitable to be in contact with food.
- Training: An individual training plan that is coherent and adapted to the activities of each employee will be developed and implemented.
- Structures and Equipment: All structures, technology, construction and equipment need will be fit for food contact and suitable for restaurant purposes.
- Pest Control: Chipotle Mexican Grill will put in place pest control measures that are ideal for controlling any pest plague.
- Waste Collection: Since Chipotle Mexican Grill is located in an urban area, garbage collection is the responsibility of the city or town. However, the restaurant will implement a waste separation system facilitates the process of proper waste disposal.
- Personal Hygiene: Chipotle Mexican Grill will have a personal hygiene plan that all the employees at the restaurant will follow, including clean, simple and short nails, as well as, no personal accessories such worn by workers such as wedding rings so as to present a clean image to the customers.Segmentation,Targeting and Positioning
It is vital to note that at the time of establishment and initial operation of the company, Chipotle Mexican Grill will develop and implement the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point plan. Moreover, regular hygiene checks will be conducted by a certified company to ascertain the adherence to hygiene prerequisites by restaurant workers, procedures and building.