At the conclusion of the lesson, the students will be in a position to have an understanding of the concept of the force of inertia and define Newton’s law of motion.
The teacher should apply the standards that have been suggested in other disciplines such as the inquiry arc which guides instructors in the teaching of Social Studies. To that end, knowledge that has been obtained from other learning fields would be imperative in the understanding of the various concepts.
|ASSESSMENT” Begin with the End in Mind”
I will have an understanding of whether the students have made a progress of the objectives through asking them questions at the end of the lesson. If they are able to answer the majority of the questions, then it follows that they have made a positive progress towards achieving the goals of the lesson.
At the end of the lesson, the learners should be in a position to answer the following question: What is the force of inertia? Define Newton’s First Law of Motion.
|HIGHER ORDER QUESTIONS (3-5)
The main goal of this lesson is to ensure that the learners have an understanding of the concept of the force of inertia and Newton’s First Law of Motion. Prior to the lesson, the students are expected to have knowledge on the examples of real life situations where the force of inertia is applicable. To that end, the learners will be expected to understand the following concepts;
1. What is the definition of the force of inertia?
2. What is the definition of Newton’s First Law of Motion?
3. What are the real-life examples of situations where the force of inertia is in use?
§ The teacher would go on to introduce the lesson for the day.
§ The teacher will give the students the objectives of the lesson.
§ The teacher would then go on to inform the students about the instructional material to bring to the class, group works for the lesson and the activities that will take part in the class.
§ Afterwards, the instructor would give the students a definition of the most important concepts.
|Engage “I DO”
· The teacher should employ reciprocal teaching. The step to step description of the process is given below.
· The teacher would enter into the classroom carrying a toy car. Then he will tell the children to find a space in front of the classroom. On an inclined plane, the toy car is allowed to move. It is observed that the car moves in one direction. As the car moves in one direction, the teacher taps it and suddenly it changes the direction. This is engaging the practices of the discipline under study.
|Elicit/ Engineer “WE DO”
· In this stage, the instructor should begin by giving a summary of what the Newton’s First Law of Motion and the force of Inertia can do.
· The teacher would then go on to tell the students to write summaries about the topic of discussion. This should take place in the groups of four.
· Let the students ask for any questions or clarifications as they engage in this activity. They can ask their friends in the classroom for the clarifications of the areas where they are in the dark.
· This should then be followed by informing the students that they will be involved in a class activity that they will need to give responses to some of the questions as the experiment go on.
· Afterwards, the class will be divided into groups of five each. Each group will perform an activity. The first activity would be placing of a card on a tumbler. A coin will also be placed on the card. By flicking of the card, the coin falls into the tumbler. The students would be required to record this observation.
· Similarly, the teacher will guide the students in carrying out another experiment. This time, a stack of coins will be arranged and one of the students would be asked to pull the bottom coin immediately. The observation that would be made is that the pile of the coins would remain unbothered by the removal of the bottom coin.
· The instructor should guide the learners in the above activities
|Examine “THEY DO”
§ Here, the students should be given room to test the meaning of the words learned in the class. For instance, they should have an understanding of the meaning of the key words which have been derived from the discipline. The words that I would like them to examine are; meaning of the force of inertia, meaning of the Newton’s First Law of Motion.
|Evaluate “YOU DO”
§ Here, the instructor should ensure that the learners have an understanding of why disciplinary language is helpful by asking them to explain the significance of the force of inertia and Newton’s first law of motion. They should also be aware of the units used for the measurement of the force of inertia and Newton’s first law of motion.
§ The teacher should then end up the lesson by summarizing what he has taught to the students.
§ That is through reminding them of the definition of the force of inertia and Newton’s First Law of motion.
The teacher should then give the students homework where they are supposed to work on designing of an activity that demonstrates Newton’s First Law of motion. This assignment should take part in the groups.