Lesson Plan on Research Proposal and Research Writing
- The main goal of this lesson is to help the students understand comprehensively the concepts of research by learning how to write a research proposal and a research paper for academic purposes.
The student should be able to complete the following at the end of the class:
- Showcase the ability to identify and distinguish between quantitative research and qualitative research.
- Demonstrate the ability to elaborate the different concepts of both quantitative and qualitative research with 90% accuracy.
- Demonstrate the ability to write a quantitative research paper and qualitative research paper with 90% accuracy.
Rationale:Lesson Plan on Research Proposal and Research Writing
The aim of this lesson is to ensure that the students can identify both quantitative and qualitative research and distinguish between the two, as well as, write their own quantitative and qualitative research papers. Based on this understanding, the lower intermediate ESL students will be exposed to the different topics and formats of quantitative and qualitative research so that they can determine the difference the two types of research papers. At the end of this lesson, the students will be able to distinguish between quantitative research and qualitative research and write both research papers with all the requirements without facing significant difficulties.
- Whiteboard or blackboard
- Handout containing the objectives and requirements of the class
- Colored Markers
|Warm-up and Introduction
|· Open the class by distributing the handout containing the lesson objectives and requirements, as well as, the duration.
· Students look at the handout and familiarize themselves with the content of the lesson.
· Allow the students to ask any questions about things they do not discern from the handout and raise any matters arising from the previous class.
· Have they students briefly explain what they already know about research proposal and research writing.
· Explain to the students what research means.
· Write down some of the things the students mentioned about research writing.
|Lecture about research writing
|· Give a broad explanation of the meaning of quantitative and qualitative research, as well as, the specific prerequisites of each research paper, particularly the title page, abstract, introduction, methodology, results, discussion and references.
· Write a brief outline of a quantitative research paper and a qualitative research paper on the white board and explain the differences in the formats of the research papers.
· Demonstrate the process of writing a research paper. See Appendix A.
|· Read out various examples of research topics and their abstracts to the students.
· Ask the students to work in person to try and distinguish whether the research topics and their abstracts belong to quantitative research papers and a qualitative research papers.
· Students to give reasons why they think the research topics are quantitative or qualitative.
Research Paper Writing
|· After the brief break, allow the students to focus on the structures and formats of quantitative research and qualitative research
· Ask the students to write both quantitative research papers and qualitative research papers of not more than four pages each based on a topic of their choice as an after class assignment.
NB: Students are free to choose any topic of their liking.
|Review and Analysis
|· Review the correct way of writing quantitative research and qualitative research in terms of their structure or format.
Contingency Plan:Lesson Plan on Research Proposal and Research Writing
In order not to mislead the class or encounter any difficulties, I will write samples of quantitative and qualitative research and allow the students to follow the same format and process while writing their research papers. This will ensure that the students do not experience any difficult understanding how to write a proper research paper for academic purposes.
The samples of quantitative and qualitative research papers written on the whiteboard will be a way of assessing the ability of the students to distinguish between quantitative and qualitative research. The research writing assignment will be a way of assessing the ability of the students to apply the concepts of quantitative and qualitative research writing by writing their own proper and accurate research papers.Lesson Plan on Research Proposal and Research Writing
How to Write a Research Paper
Step 1 – Decide on your topic. What do you want your audience to learn? If you’re writing a paper for school, what are your teacher’s prerequisites?
Step 2 – Formulate a schedule. How long will you take to find your sources? How long will it take you to write your first draft? Marking these days on a calendar so as to stay on schedule and finish your assignment on time.
Step 3 – Choose your sources. You need to utilize a vast array of reliable sources.
Aim for at least non-fiction books, scholarly articles, journals, online sources such as websites, periodicals, interviews, surveys and videos.
Step 4 – Prepare a rough draft. To make it easier, you might want to create an outline first. Write your topic at the top of the page, then list the points you will cover. Under each heading, write down some notes about your concepts and sources.
Step 5 – Editing. Ensure your writing is vivid, your grammar and punctuation are accurate, and you’ve included all the facts. Have a friend or classmate proofread your paper and offer suggestions.
NB: You can list your sources here so that you do not forget them.