Instruction for Writing a Summary: “From Among the Thugs”
To prepare the essay:
- Read the piece (essay) several times.
- Section the essay, writing down the paragraph number for each section.
- Complete sectioning by writing down the topic, the main point, and at least one detail for each section. Then work on the thesis.
- Important: Be flexible: If you need to change what you originally wrote, this is part of the important work sectioning.
—Ready to Write—
Write 1- Page, double-spaced, typed (12 pt. font) Summary:
- Begin by introducing the essay, naming author tittle.
- State the essay’s overall thesis.
- Write down the main point of each section (OMIT paragraph numbers here).
- Add a clear detail or example, if available, for each section.
- Reread and rewrite to make sure that the summary is clear.
- Proofread for spelling, grammar. Spell-check.
- Add transitions (See handout)
- Make corrections and rewrite where necessary to improve flow between sentences.
|Total Points: 100 Points
Time Line: Tuesday 11/28- Essay Summary is due
Transitions for Summary
Possible transitions between sections:
*Note: Any of these transitions can be used for any author or in another assignment where transitions are helpful. Also use your Summary Template from They Say / I Say for more information.
- Bill Bufford begins by arguing that
- He furthers states that
- Bill Bufford wants us that
- He suggests that
- Finally, he convinces us that
- That is why he insists that
- Therefore, he believes that
- As a result of this, he feels that
- He urges us to see that
- Furthermore, Reed strongly believes that because of ________.
- He tells us that
- He is concerned that
- He wants us to know that
- He wants us to consider that
Instruction for Writing a Summary: “From Among the Thugs
Summary Essay Rubric
|1. Did you use the name of the author and tittle of the essay?||Yes / No|
|2. Did you explicitly state overall thesis?||Yes / No|
|3. Did you state the main point of this essay?||Yes / No|
|4. Ddi you include a specific details from this essay?||Yes / No|
|5. Are there smooth transitions between ideas and details to the next? Did you omit paragraph numbers?||Yes / No|
|6. Is the summary clear overall? Did the writer proofread for mistakes and unclear sentences?||Yes / No|