Curriculum Vitae Writing
- The main goal of this lesson is to help the students understand comprehensively how to c create/write, format and distribute a complete resume and curriculum vitae that accurately represents their experience, skills and educational background.
The student should be able to complete the following at the end of the class:
- Showcase the ability to examine sample resumes and curriculum vitae and determine the best layout and content
- Discern comprehensively the nature and purpose of a resume and curriculum vitae.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and produce their own resumes or curriculum vitae with 90% accuracy.
Rationale:Curriculum Vitae Writing
The lower intermediate ESL students in this class study discordant courses in the institution of higher learning, for instance, Art, Education, Economics and Engineering among others. Thus, it is vital to touch on cross-curricular subjects or topics in this course that students can benefit from irrespective of their fields of study. In this I found the area of job application to be one of the strongest areas wherein the courses overlap and so I designed a lesson plan that would treat the students the experience of mixed expertise. By focussing on the grammatical correctness and layout of the resume and curriculum vitae, as well as, the necessity of having a good resume or curriculum vitae from an academic and employment perspective, the students will be able to create their own personal resumes at the end of the lesson without facing significant difficulties.
- Whiteboard or blackboard
- Handout containing the objectives and requirements of the class
- Colored Markers
|Warm-up and Introduction
|· Open the class by distributing the handout containing the lesson objectives and requirements, as well as, the duration.
· Students look at the handout and familiarize themselves with the content of the lesson.
· Allow the students to ask any questions about things they do not discern from the handout and raise any matters arising from the previous class.
· Have they students briefly explain what they already know about resumes and curriculum vitae.
· Explain to the students what resume and curriculum vitae mean.
· Write down some of the things the students mentioned about curriculum vitae and resumes.
|Lecture about resume/curriculum vitae writing
|· Begin by discussing what a resume and curriculum vitae are and why they are vital.
· Proceed to explain who needs a resume/curriculum vitae,
· Discuss how resume/curriculum vitae have changed with technology, for instance, they are now created using word processing software and submitted via e-mail or the web.
· Describe what constitutes a good resume, that is, the anatomy of a resume, for instance, contact information, educational background, work experience (employment history), skills and references. See Appendix A.
|· Discuss the format, content and layout of a resume and curriculum vitae.
· Ask the students to suggest some of the Dos and Don’ts of creating a good resume or curriculum vitae.
· Write the suggestions on the whiteboard and add your own the Dos and Don’ts.
Resume/Curriculum Vitae Writing
|· After the brief break, display the resume in Appendix B on the whiteboard. Go through the discordant sections and ask the student what they think of the layout, content and format.
· Display the resume in Appendix C on the whiteboard and compare the content, layout and format to that in Appendix B. Ask the students to decide on the appropriate layout for a resume to use and which includes all the necessary information.
· Distribute Activity Worksheets 1 and 2 and ask the students to write their own resumes in a first draft, that Activity Worksheet 1 and then make corrections and suggest improvements in Activity Worksheet 2. See Appendix D.
|Review and Analysis
|· Review the correct way of creating a resume and curriculum vitae and remind the class that it is important to continually update their resumes and curriculum vitae.
Contingency Plan:Curriculum Vitae Writing
In order not to mislead the class or encounter any difficulties, I will display two samples of resumes on the whiteboard and allow the students to study and compare the different formats, contents and layouts and use the correct layout, format and content while writing their own resumes and curriculum vitae. This will ensure that the students do not experience any difficult understanding how to create and CV for academic and employment purposes.
The samples of resumes displayed on the whiteboard will be a way of assessing the ability of the students to distinguish between proper and improper resume layout, format and content. The resume writing activity will be a way of assessing the ability of the students to apply the concepts of resume and CV writing by creating their own proper and accurate resumes.
|What is a Resume?
|A resume refers to a brief summary of an individual’s life to date, which outlines the aspects that would be of interest to a potential employer, admissions tutor or college.
|When does a person need to create one?
|As soon as he or she is about to apply for a job or to a college to accompany the person’s written application.
|What should a person include?
|Prominent personal details:
Date of birth
Education and training
Qualifications achieved in school
Employment and work experience
Hobbies and interests
References – names and contact information of referees
|Scott’s First Resume
First Name(s) Scott
Date of Birth 20th June 1990
Address 41, Selwick Drive, London, ON, D51 3NK
Telephone number (171) 526 8464
Schools Attended 1995 – 2001 Luckster High School
2001 – 2006 Swinton High School
Examinations High School Diploma
2 weeks at BC Leisure Centre Assistant – supervising & instructing
students in sporting activities
Part time jobs Local trout farm
41, Selwick Drive
Swinton, Ontario, D51 3NK,
Tel: (181) 548-9238
· Excellent in communication with both adults and my
· Punctual and good attendance record.
· Able to work efficiently in a team and alone.
· Represented school and area in athletics and soccer.
· Currently studying 9 subjects expecting above 80% in all.
Interests: Soccer (school captain), rock concerts and athletics.
Work Experience: Swinton Leisure Centre
· Planning and organising activities for students
aged 6-13 years.
· Assisting with display materials.
· Coordinating with the public, mainly parents.
· General duties.
Local Trout Farm
· General assistant – cleaning ponds, feeding fish, managing transfer of trout and dealing with stock.
· Stock taking and ordering.
· Serving customers.
· Window display
Education: Swinton High School
References: Mr K Patrick, Principal, Swinton High School, Swinton, London, Ontario.
Mr D. McCain, Pondering Trout Farm, Pickering, London Ontario
I feel I am an enterprising and self-motivated sixteen year old with excellent communication skills and the ability to use initiative tactics to achieve my personal goals and ambitions.
Curriculum Vitae Writing
Activity Worksheet 1: Draft
Activity Worksheet 2: Correct Resume
Date of Birth: