California Connected. Describe some of the ways California changed after becoming part of the United States
The Old South. In what ways did slavery shape the Southeastern US in the era from 1820-1860? In what ways was the society of the South actually more complex that people might realize?
- California Connected. Describe some of the ways California changed after becoming part of the United States. How were events in California related to events in the rest of the country? (You may use Connecting California, including the Conclusion.)
- Political Crisis. Explain some of the key events in Chapter 14 that led up to the Civil War. What social and political trends do you see behind these events? Do you think the war was the result of poor leadership, or was it due to forces that nobody could control?
- Civil War. Explain the advantages of the North and the South. Was the South foolish to think they could win? How did the war change America? Examine specific events in Chapter 15 to explain your thinking.
- How did the lives of African Americans change after the Civil War? Examine key events to show how Reconstruction was both a failure and a success.
Part II: Theme Essay. Please write about five paragraphs on one of the themes below. Use examples from various time periods that we have have covered in the course. Include at least two pictures. Please make sure your essay reflects well on what you learned throughout this course 🙂
- Why has trade been such a hot topic throughout the history we have covered? In what ways has trade helped develop the country? In what ways has it divided Americans?
- In what ways does the early history of our country reflect a richness of cultures, values and lifestyles? How has diversity shaped our nation in the eras we have covered?
- Describe the role of women in various time periods we have studied. What events or changes in society had the most impact on women? How do you see women contributing to changes in the country in the eras we covered?
- History and You. Share four pictures that relate to you or to your values, now or in the future. Relate the pictures to specific history topics we have covered in class. Discuss how your understanding of American or California history has shaped the way you see your own life.